Man arrested following drive-by shooting in NW Rochester
Authorities have arrested a suspect believed to be responsible for a drive-by shooting Tuesday night in northwest Rochester.
Police responded to the area of 43rd Street and 18th Avenue NW around 9:30 p.m. to multiple reports of gunshots. When officers arrived, they found three boys, ages 8, 13 and 15, outside the home that had been targeted.
Several shots penetrated the home and bullets from a semi-automatic rifle were found in multiple rooms, according to police. The children, who were home alone at the time, were "shaken up" but not injured.
Shortly after police responded, the 35-year-old father of the children arrived on scene. He told officers that he believed 39-year-old Joshua Cunningham was responsible for the shooting.
The father said there had been a dispute a couple hours earlier over some money. He said Cunningham had pulled a gun on him while they were parked at a gas station on North Broadway. The incident went unreported until after the shooting.
Officers later went to Cunningham's residence, located in the 100 block of 11th Street NE, where they found him smoking a cigarette on his back porch, says the police report. When he started walking toward the road, officers moved in and arrested him.
Cunningham was taken into custody for being a prior felon in possession of a handgun. He isn't expected to be charged with the shooting until Thursday.
Rochester Police Capt. John Sherwin said Wednesday morning that the dispute was between two individuals and there is no ongoing threat.
"This was not a random crime. This was a dispute between two parties centered around money," he said.
(Cover graphic: File / CC)